SME - SERIES V
The work took almost four years and the measure of its success is the acceptance of the Series V precision pick-up arm by technical experts and users as one of the world’s truly great audio products. Series V sound has an almost startling dynamic range and neutrality enabling high levels to be enjoyed. It escapes the ‘LP’ sound and demonstrates that structural resonances in pick-up arms are responsible for much that makes vinyl records readily discernible from master tapes.
|Series V Dimensions
|A – Distance from pivot to stylus
|B – Distance from pivot to turntable centre
|C – Cartridge fixing centres
|D – Offset angle
|E – Linear offset
|F – Overhang
|G – Height above mounting surface
|H – Height of record surface above mounting surface
|J – Depth below mounting surface
|K – Radial clearance for balance weight
|L – Clearance between cabinet lid and record surface assuming cartridge height at 17.0mm
- Unique one-piece pressure die-cast tone-arm utilising the advantages of magnesium, replace conventional fabricated construction.
- Internal constrained layer damps minute residual vibration leaving the tone-arm acoustically inert. Fine machined cartridge platform, enamel free to avoid interface resonance.
- A Stainless steel cross shaft, ground and thread ground. Carried in massive yoke on 10mm ball races. Axis at record mean level to minimise warp-wow.
- Dynamic balance graduated vertical tracking force (VTF) control applies 0-3g x 0.125g through resonance controlled spring.
- Unique assembly gives high rigidity and allows bearings to be critically adjusted before tone-arm is fitted.
- Stainless steel vertical shaft, ground and thread ground, with integral 16mm diameter flange to couple shaft and yoke.
- 23mm diameter steel pillar, heat treated, ground and honed, carries two 17mm ball races, widely spaced to resist tilt.
- Anti-skate control operates through tension spring and filament. Dial corresponds with VTF and has positive OFF position.
- Lowering/raising control gives smooth positive action. Height of lift can be adjusted.
- Subsonic lateral mode fluid damper can be instantly adjusted or cancelled.
- Dual-lock base provides movement control with high rigidity.
- Swivelling damped output socket minimises vibration transmission in sub-chassis use.
- Tungsten-alloy balance weight carried on damped two-point suspension. Extra-low inertia design assists warp riding.
- Underslung weight housing corrects centre of gravity and provides non-reflective tone-arm termination. Adjustment leadscrew journalled in twin ball races with lever clamping.
- Fine adjustment of arm height (VTA).
- Reference lines on tone-arm facilitate VTA setting.
- Fine adjustment of horizontal tracking angle (HTA).
|Series V Specifications
|Cartridge balance range
||4.2 – 18.0g
|Vertical tracking force
||0 – 3.0g(30mN)
|Maximum tracking error
||0.012(degrees per mm)
Capacitance 140.0 pF per channel
Resistance 0.145 ohms per conductor
||Capacitance 15.0 pF per channel
Resistance 0.5353 ohms per conductor
|Output plug and socket
||DIN 5-pole 240°
Series V Tonearm Manual (PDF)